The project is a historic loft at the Knickerbocker Lofts in St. Louis, Missouri. The original building was a garment factory and is well over 100 years old. The factory was converted into residences about 25 years ago. The goal of this project is to design the interior to preserve and showcase some of the original characteristics of the garment factory with an industrial look, complemented by some modern furnishings. This property will be used primary to host parties and get-togethers. As such, the main living area with kitchen and main bathroom has greatest importance and value than the bedrooms and master bathroom. Below are the goals in order of importance:
* Design space with an industrial look with a modern complementing feel
* Please include item specifics, whenever possible, with a link/location to where the item can be purchased.
* Plans should be cost effective. Please use furnishings from IKEA, Costco, Sams Club, Value City Furniture, Garden Ridge, Lumbar Liquidators, Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, Amazon.com, eBay.com, and others of your choosing. Limit significant use of cost-prohibitive items like from Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, and Pottery Barn.
* A few vintage items have already been purchased. Please include these items in the design.
* If you are able to include any elements of historic downtown St. Louis or this building specifically, this would be great.
Avoid significant alteration to the basic floor plan.
Main living area:
* A large common brick wall running the full length of the property was painted over with cheap white paint. The paint on the long wall will be PARTIALLY stripped of the pain to expose some of the brick.
* The flooring is currently a laminate that has considerable wear. I would like to replace the current laminate floor. Please select a laminate floor from Homedepot.com. Any of the Pergo XP brand would be preferable as they are running a promotion for free installation of this floor. If there is another that works out better, that would be less preferable.
* The flooring for the foyer (and any other areas that your design calls for tile) would be preferable to have a stone tile (like travertine, granite, marble, onyx…but not slate). Please make recommendations on baseboard.
* I would like to have a ceiling mounted projector screen for a large screen and would like to make this as unobtrusive as possible. See attached photos for some design ideas.
* Modern, perhaps white leather or vinyl, couches would be preferable. I was hoping to use the industrial cart (see included photographs) as a center table).
* A dining table…perhaps with an industrial feel combined with modern dining tables with a unique/memorable chandelier would be nice.
* There are two old HVAC units that are above each of the bathrooms that are rather ugly and visible from the common area. Some way to hide those from view would be nice.
* Two doors leading to bedrooms on either side are needed for privacy. Barnyard style rolling doors may be nice.
* In the small breakout, near the front door, may be a nice area for a bar. Please include in design.
* I am looking for a way to finish the outside part of the kitchen island…perhaps with a piece of sheet metal like the backsplash.
* To save cost, I would like to keep the existing cabinets, but change the doors and perhaps add some crown molding. Underlighting below the cabinetry may be nice.
* Current state of bathroom is rather simple in appearance. Looking to make this look nice. A unique and creative space would be ideal.
* The layout of the room is rather odd due to a large walk in closet. If the closet size needs to be reduced for your design, that is fine.
* Existing flooring looks rather dated and certainly needs to be updated. As the room continues from the main living area, perhaps just continuing the same flooring?
* Furnishings as you see fit.
* Simple, inexpensive, functional updates would be appreciated.
* I am open to any recommendations you have for this room.
A color 3D rendering (computer or drawn) will help me visualize the final product that you have envisioned. I'm looking for the best overall look that integrates an industrial and modern look that catches my eye and gives it that "wow" factor. Specific paint, flooring, wall hangings, furniture, etc. are necessary. I am available for any questions. Please feel free to ask! Let me know, also, if you need any photographs of specific existing elements.