I would like to build a cabin that sits on the south side of a lake (lake facing windows are on the north side of the cabin).
The lot width is 75 feet. The width of the cabin must not exceed 50 feet.
The lot is shaded by trees on the lake side.
We want to have guests at the cabin who feel comfortable staying for several days.
Stories: 1 1/2 or 2 stories
- Open floor plan with lots of light
- Consider 9 or 10 foot ceilings on the first floor
- No formal dining room or living room--just a kitchen opening to a great room.
Kitchen and great room.
- My wife and I like a very open floor plan with the kitchen open to a great room.
- The great room should open to the lake.
- The lake facing walls should have lots of windows (or glass doors). The more light the better.
- The kitchen should have a large island where people can sit and talk while my wife (who loves to cook and entertain) can cook.
- The stove should be 36 inches wide or wider.
- We want the cabin to look nice and have quality construction. Don't skimp on the kitchen.
- 3 bedrooms.
- Each bedroom suite should have its own full bath and closet.
- 1st floor master bedroom would be a plus.
- The master bedroom should have a lake view.
- Maximize the number of rooms with a lake view.
-- Each bath should have a shower. Bathrooms need not be large, but not cramped.
-- Tile is preferred over fiberglass in the shower.
- The water table is fairly high. A basement is not needed (but is okay).
- Crawl space at a minimum, so we have access to pipes (no slab foundations)
- The cabin sits in a climate with cold winters and is heated with propane gas.
- It would be nice to have a 1st floor MBR and close off the 2nd floor BRs in winter when we don't have guests.
- The cabin should be well insulated.
- 1+ gas fireplace is optional
We'd like a laundry room. A 1st floor powder room is a plus.
A cabin currently sits on the lot. Behind the cabin (on the east side of the lot) is a two car standalone garage that opens to the west. You can suggest keeping the standalone garage or rebuilding. We need a garage for storage.
We'll look for a balance between quality and affordability.
We would like to know background on the designer, so we know we can trust the design. If we get a plan we like, we anticipate refining the plan with the designer.
The floor plan should be very open and bright with lots of lake views. Except for bedrooms, we don't need a lot of walls and extra rooms.
We have looked on the internet at lots of house plans but don't see what we like.
I will attach a picture with a floor plan that I made up myself.
You can use it as a guideline but feel free to change anything.