This house is a 1964 cape style house located on Cape Cod, MA. The house has three levels: first floor has about 868 sqft with a 280 sqft attached garage. The basement lever has same footprint as floor and it is unfinished. The second floor has two bedrooms and a small bathroom. The stairway to second floor is in the middle of the house facing the front door.
This has been completely guttered. We would like to remodel the first and the second floor of the house and give a new life to it. The first floor includes kitchen, bathroom #1, bed room #1, living room, door way and stairs. We also consider turning the attached garage into a sun room and rebuild a deck/patio area in the backyard.
The second floor has two bedrooms on each side the stairway and a small bathroom in between. We have limited options to expand the second floor so would like to have some design ideas about the small bathroom and bedroom layout.
The house will be mainly used as a summer vacation house.
Structural design considerations:
1) Kitchen area is open to the living room. There is no separated dining room (just dinning area in the living room)
2) Preserve the bedroom on the 1st floor but it could be a multifunctional room
3) Our current plan is to convert the existing garage into a family room and integrate it into the main house
4) The bathroom on the 1st floor needs renovation
5) Space/layout optimization of second floor bathroom and bedrooms
6) We want a mud room on the 1st floor. Outdoor shower is necessary
7) We want to expand the patio/deck
Clean, bright, open, light color, hard floor throughout. This project is on budget and luxury is not necessary. We want the house to be airy and relaxing - a good place for a family of four/six to stay and to explore what Cape Cod has to offer in the summer.
1) Integration of the family room (garage converted) into the first floor.
2) Optimization of space and flow among living room, dinning area, kitchen and the potential family room
3) Detailed plan for kitchen
4) Integration of new and bigger deck/patio into the house
5) Design concept for the 1st floor bedroom (we want to keep the bedroom but privacy is also a concern)
6) Room layout and furnishing recommendations