The PRIMARY OBJECTIVE of this project is to enhance the existing backyard by balancing the PRIVACY and SECLUSION of the peaceful GARDENS with ENTERTAINING and FUNCTIONALITY.
People who are in the backyard should be impressed with the beauty of nature in the backyard and secondly with the well-planned layout that flows and integrates with the space. WOW FACTORS WILL BE IN THE DETAILS.
We love the feeling of our "cottage in the city". It takes our breath away and reduces our stress after work.
We eat, swim, read, drink coffee and generally hang out in the backyard with friends and kids (9 year olds+)
You have succeeded if the view from our main windows (eating area and kitchen) continues to take our breath away with the existing greenery, gardens and foliage of the backyard, and yet we can walk outside and entertain several families "in style". (ie. Don't drop the cabana right in front of the window or suggest a 5,000 square foot stone patio!)
We live near Toronto, Canada. For several months in the winter we will only use the Hot Tub and BBQ. The backyard is South facing. The CAD and PDF drawings have North facing down.
The house may be torn down in the next few years so we do not want to tie anything major into the existing structure or roof.
The house is being painted a taupe colour (Benjamin Moore CC-500 Ranchwood)
The dog run with wood fence will be removed.
The existing cedar deck will be removed.
Stone hardscape is the preferred choice for the patio for maintenance reasons.
Cedar is the preferred choice for wood (for durability).
We would like:
1) Cabana with: A) Small bathroom with toilet and sink; B) a small room with cubbies and hooks for towels, pool toys,lotions, etc and space to change; and C) an outdoor shower. Keep in mind the location of the sanitary main line and water main.
2) BBQ area should include some granite counter space for prep, space for a small beverage fridge and a small food fridge, and space for garbage and recycling.
3) A wood burning fire pit made from stone (for fire protection) that can seat 6 around it comfortably
4) A small herb garden close to the kitchen door of the house for basil, mint, thyme, etc.
5) Maintain grass for kids playing soccer, running around, etc.
6) Privacy for the hot tub from the street (wooden gate, plants, ?)
7) BBQ should be accessible (relatively close to the door and/or covered).
8) Hot tub should be accessible to the master bedroom doors and house doors (patio).
9) A shaded eating /lounging area using a pergola (with the existing wisteria) or roofed structure.
•Use of elevation, accents, a couple of small fire features (fire bowls? torches?) for impact.
•Lighting and sound system are not part of the scope of work, but will be installed soon. If it works within your plans and our goals, feel free to incorporate accent lighting into the plan for walkways, BBQ, dining area, etc.
Existing plants and gardens can be moved/changed. You can re-use existing plants ore recommend low maintenance, pet-safe (non-poisonous) flowering plants.
Selection will be based on:
1) Achieving the goals as outlined above. The view from the kitchen window and embracing the natural beauty of the space are paramount.
2) Practicality and entertaining space
3) Subtle details (accents, wow factors, layout, practical use of space) and use of colours/materials
4) Cost effectiveness
Please include specifics on the cabana design.